Fibreglass is used in so many industries, and it’s all around us. We usually associate it with construction industries, such as roofing and insulation.
However, fibreglass makes up almost 50% of the components in aerospace structures.
Fibreglass is often used in the aerospace industry and can be categorised into the following categories
- Structural parts
- Interior aviation flooring, closets, cargo liners, and seating
- Luggage bins and storage racks
So, how is fibreglass used in each of these parts?
1. Structural parts
Fibreglass in structural elements of the aerospace industry is mainly used to make the fundamental elements of the plane: fins, flaps, propellers, air brakes and rotor blades.
It is a perfect material because it is cost-effective, is completely weather and chemical resistant.
Fibreglass is also very lightweight, which not only makes it an affordable option but saves on fuel consumption too if the plane is lighter.
With the growing demand for the commercial and passenger aircraft industry, the market for fibreglass will also benefit from this and increase.
How is fibreglass eco friendly? Learn more.
2. Internal flooring, seating, and liners
Fibreglass moulding and composites makes up almost half of the modern aircraft industry.
With fuel prices rising, there is a growing demand for the aerospace industry to be more sustainable and fuel-efficient, as well as increasing capacity.
3. Luggage and Storage Bins
Fibreglass moulding forms a vital part of aircraft luggage and storage rack manufacturing.
Want to find out more about the uses of fibreglass in the aviation industry? Click here.
Benefits of fibreglass:
- It can be moulded into any shape to fit any airplane exterior or interior style.
- It has mechanical strength: it is so strong and stiff for its weight and size that it trumps all other materials that are heavier and bulkier.
- It is so durable that it can last a lifetime.
- It is low maintenance, anti-magnetic and therefore cost-effective.
- it is weather and fire-resistant, and completely waterproof.
- It can be painted and styled into any colour.
More about the advantages and disadvantages here.